Companies are closely tied to Contacts, and as you will see, there is a lot of cross-over in how these two related types of information are organized and edited. Adding companies and then associating them with contacts provides the basis for tracking shipping and receiving transactions.
Companies may seem related to another set of information that you enter as manufacturer, but Tracmor defines these for the purpose of asset and inventory tracking as follows:
- Companies are related to contacts and are used for shipping and receiving;
- Manufacturers are related to the "models" you build to identify your assets; manufacturers produce assets.
This article describes everything you need to know about companies - and a bit about the contacts within those companies as well:
- Finding the menu options
- Creating one new company
- Importing a list of companies
- Deleting companies
- Exporting a list of companies
- Editing company information
- Archiving companies
- Adding custom fields
- Related articles
Finding the menu options
For companies, there are two menu options for creating, searching, editing, and archiving information:
1. From the top menu, click on Company.
2. From the side menu, click on Company>Companies — it's about half way down.
Note: If the side menu is not visible, click on the square to the left of Global Search at the top of the screen to show/hide the side menu.
Once you click on Companies you will have access to the options circled in red, which allow you to:
- Access all functions facilitated by the icons in the upper right, as described in detail below
- Refine the Company List to only display the companies of interest using the Company Search function
- Access the complete Company List
Note: If you don't need the search option you can close it by clicking on the symbol shown by the red arrow.
Creating one new company
To add one new company, click on Company (top menu), then click on the blue plus icon (upper right corner):
Alternatively, you can click on Company>Create Company from the side menu:
From here you can add a new Company Name. It is the only required field, but you can also add an (optional) company description and company website.
Click on Save and you will see the company added at the top of the Company List.
Note: There is also an opportunity to add a new company "as you go" whenever this option is available — just click on the light blue plus icon to open the Create Company dialog box:
Importing a list of companies
1. To import a list of companies, click on Company on the top menu (or Company>Companies on the side menu), and then click on the (green) down arrow icon in the top right corner.
From here, you can download a standard file for importing companies; click on the (tan) download icon shown by the red arrow.
Note: Clicking on the blue icon (to the right of the download icon) displays a list of files previously imported.
2. Open the downloaded file, preferably in MS Excel. Note that the spreadsheet's column headings A, B, and C match the fields in the Create Company dialog box.
Note: The column headings for information not added when creating one company at a time can be added through the edit function described below.
Only two items are required — Company Name (column A) and Address Name (column D). Importing more details can save time, but be sure read the "fine print" for these items:
- Address Name. The Address Name is required and allows you to add a distinguishing detail, such as Distribution Center or Headquarters. If that is not needed, one option is to use the Company Name for both the Company Name and Address Name.
- Country Name. Only use the country names as they are listed in Tracmor (for a list you can use the search function under Admin>States).
- State Name. Any state you list must already be in Tracmor. No need to create states if your address is within the US or Canada because these states are already available. If your address includes a state outside North America, create the state before adding it to the file you are importing.
- Custom Fields. If custom fields were added for companies, these would also be included as a column heading in the standard import file. None are shown below because no custom field was added, but if it had been, it would be easy to identify because of the Custom Field Name prefix "_cfv."
Do not skip any rows. Save the spreadsheet with a descriptive name.
3. Click on Choose File to navigate to the file you just created, and once you have chosen the file and it is listed next to Choose File (instead of No file chosen), click on Upload File.
Once the file is uploaded, you will receive a status report via the Imported File List. If any companies were not successfully imported, the number will be indicated under the column heading “Skipped.”
Note: Clicking Undo removes the imported values. This option is only available for the most recent import.
To determine the error(s), download the file by clicking on the link in the skipped column. In the example above, clicking on the number "3" in red downloads a file with three error messages.
You can remove companies from the list by archiving them so they can be retrieved (unarchived) —or — you can delete companies as follows:
- One Company at a time while editing (see below)
- One or more Companies; select them by clicking on the box to the left of the Company Name from the list view, or first apply the search function to create a targeted list; you can search by Company, archive status, or date. Once you have created a filtered list by choosing search criteria and clicking on Apply Filter, you can select items from the Company List by clicking in the check box to the left of each item.
Tip: Clicking on the box at the top of the column (red arrow) selects all items in a list.
Once your selections have been made, click on the red "trash" icon. You will be asked to confirm the delete request. Once you confirm, the item will deleted.
Exporting a list of companies
If you need a record of your companies, you can export a list by clicking on the export icon in the upper right corner. The list downloads as an MS Excel spreadsheet.
Note: The spreadsheet is password protected and cannot be edited without the password that Tracmor sent to your account owner admin.
Editing company information
To edit the information for a company already created, click on Company (top menu) or navigate to Company>Companies (side menu) and click on Companies.
Scroll down to the Company List and click on the company of interest (all company names are links).
Your options from the View Company dialog box are: Edit, Contacts, Addresses, Attachments, Delete, and Cancel.
Click on Edit for these options:
After editing, be sure to click on Save to upload your changes.
Click on Contacts for a list of contacts that were previously entered for that company.
From here you have a full range of options described in detail in the article on Contacts.
Click on Addresses for a list of addresses that were previously entered for the company.
From here you have many options that are described in detail in the article on Contacts. Notice that the Address List is for the selected company, which is Dell in this example.
Click on Attachments to upload files related to the company.
From here you can click on Choose File to navigate to the file you would like to upload, and once the file name appears instead of [No file chosen], click Submit. The uploaded file will appear as a clickable link in the Attachment List.
Click on Delete (shown in the grayed out area at the bottom) to remove a company. Luckily you won't be doing this by mistake — only click on OK if you are sure!
You also have the option of mass editing two types of information: the company description and any custom fields you added.
To mass edit companies, navigate to the Company List via Company (top menu) or Company>Companies (side menu), and select the companies of interest by clicking on the check box the the left of each Comany Name. Then click on the (light blue) pencil icon.
Clicking on the options to edit (circled in red). Any custom fields you added would also be editable. Once edited, click on Save to upload your edits.
To archive companies, navigate to the Company List via Company (top menu) or Company>Companies (side menu), then select the companies of interest by clicking on the check box the the left of each Company Name.
Click on the (yellow) archive icon to move the selected items into archive. Archived items are searchable and can be retrieved.
Adding custom fields
Important: If you do not have admin permissions, you will not be able to add custom fields or carry out the following steps.
Navigate to Settings>Module Field List Settings (side menu, near the bottom).
Ten modules allow custom fields, including Company. To add a custom field, click on Add Custom Field.