Companies are closely tied to contacts, and as you will see, there is a lot of cross-over in how these two related types of information are organized and edited. Adding companies and then associating them with contacts provides the basis for tracking shipping and receiving transactions.
Companies may seem related to another set of information that you enter as "manufacturer," but there is a clear distinction in how Tracmor defines these for the purposes of asset and inventory tracking:
- Companies are related to contacts and are used for shipping and receiving;
- Manufacturers are related to the "models" you build to identify your assets; manufacturers produce assets.
This article describes everything you need to know about companies - and a bit about the contacts within those companies as well:
- Finding the menu options
- Creating one new company
- Importing a list of companies
- Deleting companies
- Exporting a list of companies
- Editing company information
- Archiving companies
- Adding custom fields
- Related articles
Finding the menu options
There are multiple ways to navigate to finding, adding, editing, and archiving company information.
From the top menu, click on Company.
From the side menu, click on Company>Companies - it's about half way down.
Note: if the side menu is not visible, click on the square to the left of Global Search at the top of the screen. This icon shows and hides the side menu.
Once you click on Companies you will have access to the options circled in red:
These options will allow you to:
- Access all functions facilitated by the icons in the upper right (functions are described in detail below)
- Access the complete Company List
- Refine the Company List to only display the companies of interest using the Company Search function
Note: If you don't need the search option you can close it by clicking on the symbol shown by the red arrow.
Creating one new company
To add one new company, you can click on the blue plus icon:
Alternatively, you can click on Company>Create Company from the side menu:
From here you can add a new Company Name. It is the only required field, but you can also add an (optional) company description and company website.
Click on Save and you will see the company added at the top of the Company List.
Note: There is also an opportunity to add a new company "as you go" whenever this option is available:
Importing a list of companies
1. To import a list of companies, click on Company on the top menu (or Company>Companies on the side menu), and then click on the (green) down arrow icon.
From here, you can download a standard file for importing companies; click on the (tan) download icon shown by the red arrow.
Note: Clicking on the blue icon (to the right of the download icon) displays a list of files previously imported.
2. Open the downloaded file, preferably in MS Excel. Note that the spreadsheet's column headings match the fields in the Create Company dialogue box. Additional information can also be added that would otherwise be added through the edit functions described below.
The two required field are Company Name (column A), and Address Name (column D), but you can include information for all items in columns B through M (shown in two segments below). Do not skip any rows.
A few things to keep in mind about certain types of information:
- Address Name (column D) allows you to distinguish addresses within one company, such as warehouse, distribution center, headquarters, or satellite office
- If you are adding states (column H) that have not already been added - such as any state outside of the US or Canada - you must add them before listing them in the spreadsheet
- Only use the country names (column G) as they are listed in Tracmor (for a list you can use the search function under Admin>States)
Save your newly created spreadsheet with a descriptive name.
3. Click on Choose File to navigate to the file you just created, and once you have chosen the file and it is listed next to Choose File (instead of No file chosen), click on Upload File.
Once the file is uploaded, you will receive a status report via the Imported File List. If any companies were not successfully imported, the number will be indicated under the column heading “Skipped.”
Note: Clicking Undo removes the imported values. This option is only available for the most recent import.
To determine the error(s), download the file by clicking on the link in the skipped column. In the example above, clicking on the number "3" in red downloads a file with three error messages.
You can remove companies from the list by archiving them so they can later be retrieved (unarchived) - or - you can delete companies completely as follows:
- One Company at a time while editing (see below)
- One or more Companies; select them by clicking on the box to the left of the contact from the list view, or first apply the search function to create a targeted list by Company Name, archive status, or date created. Once you have created a filtered list by choosing parameters and clicking on Apply Filter to search for your criteria, you can select items from the Company List by clicking in the check box next to each item.
Note: As shown below by the circled box at the bottom, clicking on the box at the top of the column selects all items in the list.
Once your selections have been made, click on the red "trash" icon. You will be asked to confirm the delete request. Once you confirm, the item will deleted and no longer appear in the list.
Exporting a list of companies
If you need a record of your companies, you can export a list by clicking on the export icon in the upper right hand corner. The list downloads as an MS Excel spreadsheet.
Note: The spreadsheet is password protected and cannot be edited without the password that Tracmor sent to your account admin.
Editing company information
To edit the information for a company already created, click on Company from the top menu or navigate to Company>Companies, from the side menu, and click. Click on the company of interest from the Company List for these options: Edit, Contacts, Addresses, Attachments, Delete, and Cancel.
Click on Edit for these options:
After making edits, be sure to click on Save to upload your changes.
Click on Contacts for a list of contacts that were previously entered for that company.
From here you have a full range of options described in detail in the article on contacts; see link at the end of this article .
Click on Addresses for a list of addresses that were previously entered for the company.
From here you have many options that are described in detail in the article on contacts, listed below. Notice that the Address List is for the selected company, which is Dell in this case.
Click on Attachments to upload related company materials.
From here you can click on Choose File to navigate to the file you would like to upload, and once the file name appears instead of [No file chosen], click Submit. The uploaded file will appear as a clickable link in the Attachment List.
Click on Delete (shown in the grayed out area at the bottom) to remove a company. Luckily you won't be doing this by mistake - only click on OK if you are sure!
You also have the option of mass editing two types of information regarding companies - company description and any custom fields you added.
To mass edit companies, navigate to the Company List via Company from the top menu or Company>Companies from the side menu, and select the companies of interest by clicking on the check box the the left of each name.
Click on the (light blue) pencil icon.
Mass edit by clicking on the options to edit. Once edited, click on Save to upload your edits.
To archive companies, navigate to the Company List via Company from the top menu or Company>Companies from the side menu, and select the companies of interest by clicking on the check box the the left of each name.
Click on the (yellow) archive icon to move the selected items into the archive. Archived items are searchable and can be retrieved.
Adding custom fields
Your tracking system can be expanded to include the information important to your organization; simply add custom fields, as needed. Navigate to Settings>Module Field List Settings (located near the bottom of the side menu).
Of the 10 modules that you can add custom fields to, click on Add Custom Field for Company. See the link at the end of this section for an article on creating custom fields.