Your "contacts" are closely tied to another set of information that you enter as "companies," and these two interlinked sets of information are especially geared to helping you track the shipping and receiving of your assets and inventory.
This article describes everything you need to know about contacts, as follows:
- Finding the menu options
- Creating one new contact
- Importing a list of contacts
- Deleting contacts
- Exporting a list of contacts
- Editing contact information
- Archiving contacts
- Adding custom fields
- Related articles
Finding the menu options
There are multiple ways to navigate to finding, adding, editing, and archiving contact information.
From the top menu, click on Contacts.
From the side menu, click on Contact>Contacts - it's about half way down.
Note: if the side menu is not visible, click on the square to the left of Global Search at the top of the screen. This icon shows and hides the side menu.
Once you click on Contacts you will have access to the options circled in red:
These options will allow you to:
- Access all functions facilitated by the icons in the upper right, which are described in detail below
- Access the complete Contact List, or, refine the Contact List to only display the contacts of interest using the Contact Search function
Note: If you don't need the search option you can close it by clicking on the symbol shown by the red arrow.
Creating one new contact
To add one new contact, you can click on the blue plus icon:
Alternatively, you can click on Contact>Create Contact from the side menu:
From here you can add a new Contact as follows:
- Select a Company created previously; if the cursor is in the search field and you tap on the space bar, a list of companies becomes available to choose from.
Note: If the company is not already listed, create one by clicking on the plus icon. This opens a dialogue box from which you can add a company name. Be sure to click on Save.
- Companies may have more than one address and if that is the case, each address is given an Address Name, such as headquarters, sales office, or warehouse. If the correct one has been created, select the one of interest by placing the cursor in the search field and tapping on the space bar for the address names that have been entered for that company.
If the desired address name has not yet been added, click on the blue plus icon to add the Address Name as well as all relevant information regarding the address.
- Enter the contact's First Name. The remaining fields are optional.
- Click on Save and you will see the contact added at the top of the Contact List.
Importing a list of contacts
1. From the top menu, click on Contacts (or from the side menu click o Contact>Contacts).
2. Click on the down arrow icon (green) to begin the process for importing a list of contacts.
From here, click on the download icon (tan) to gain access to the standard file for importing contact information.
Note: Clicking on the blue icon to the right of the download file icon displays a list of files previously imported.
2. Open the downloaded file, preferably in MS Excel. Note that the spreadsheet's column headings match the fields in the Create Contact dialogue box, and the first three columns - Company Name, Address Name, and First Name are required. The remaining information can also be imported.
Important: The Company Name and Address Name for each new contact must have already been created so that the remaining new information can be associated.
Save your newly created spreadsheet with a descriptive name.
3. Click on Choose File to navigate to the saved file, and once you have chosen the file and it is listed (instead of No file chosen).
4. Click on Upload File.
Once the file is uploaded, you will receive a status report via the Imported File List. If any contacts were not successfully imported, the number of items not uploaded will be indicated under the column heading “Skipped.”
Note: Clicking Undo removes the imported values. This option is only available for the most recent import.
To determine the error(s) for skipped items, download the file by clicking on the link in the skipped column. In the example above, clicking on the number "1" in red downloads a file with the error message.
You can remove Contacts from the list by archiving them so they can later be retrieved (unarchived) - or - you can delete contacts completely as follows:
- One Contact at a time while editing (see below)
- One or more Contacts; select them by clicking on the box to the left of the contact from the list view, or first apply the search function to create a targeted list by First Name, Last Name, Company, archive status, or date created. Once you have created a filtered list by choosing parameters and clicking on Apply Filter to search for your criteria, you can select items from the Contact List by clicking in the check box next to each item.
Note: Clicking on the box at the top of the column selects all items in the list (see circled item at the bottom of the following screenshot).
Once your selections have been made, click on the red "trash" icon. You will be asked to confirm the delete request. Once you confirm, the items will deleted and no longer appear in the list.
Exporting a list of contacts
If you need a record of your contacts, you can export a list of contact names (first and last, and title) by clicking on the export icon in the upper right hand corner. The list downloads as an MS Excel spreadsheet.
Note: The spreadsheet is password protected and cannot be edited without the password that Tracmor sent to your account admin.
Editing contact information
To edit contact information, click on Contact from the top menu (or navigate to Contact>Contacts from the side menu and click on Contacts).
From the Contact List click on the Contact Name of interest for these options: Edit, Attachments, Delete, and Cancel.
Note: The Company Name and Address Name are links to additional information (with additional options to edit those items in their dialog box.)
Click on Edit for these options:
Note: You can add more than one email, for instance, by clicking on the (blue) plus icon to the right of the email field.
Click on Attachments to upload related contact documents or images.
From here you can click on Choose File to navigate to the file you would like to upload, and once the file name appears instead of [No file chosen], click Submit. The uploaded file will appear as a clickable link in the Attachment List.
Click on Delete (shown in the grayed out area at the bottom) to remove a contact. Luckily you won't be doing this by mistake - only click on OK if you are sure!
You also have the option of mass editing three types of information regarding contacts:
- Contact description
- Custom fields you created (see below)
To mass edit contacts, navigate to the Contact List via Contacts from the top menu or Contact>Contacts from the side menu, and select the Contacts of interest by clicking on the check box the the left of each name.
Click on the (light blue) pencil icon.
Mass edit by clicking on the options to edit (circled in red). Once edited, click on Save to upload your edits.
To archive contacts, navigate to the Contact List via Contact from the top menu or Contact>Contacts from the side menu, and select the contacts of interest by clicking on the check box the the left of each name.
Click on the (yellow) archive icon to move the selected items into the archive. Archived items are searchable and can be retrieved.
Adding custom fields
Your tracking system can be expanded to include the information important to your organization; simply add custom fields, as needed. Navigate to Settings>Module Field List Settings (located near the bottom of the side menu).
Of the 10 modules that you can add custom fields to, click on Add Custom Field for both Contacts or Address. See the link at the end of this section for an article on creating custom fields.