With custom fields you can expand Tracmor to fit your organization's tracking needs - across all modules - and down to the last detail.
This article covers everything you need to know about custom fields:
Finding the menu options
To access settings for custom fields, navigate to Settings>Module Field List Settings:
Note: If the side menu is not visible, click on the square to the left of Global Search at the top of the screen. Clicking on this icon allows you to show and hide the side menu.
Clicking on Module Field List Settings provides access to the custom field options for all 10 modules:
Adding a custom field
The process for adding a custom field is the same in all modules and involves two main steps: formatting the custom field and setting the permissions to view and edit.
1. Click on Add Custom Field.
2. Provide a Field Name (required) - a short but descriptive name is best!
3. Select the Custom Field Type (required). The options are:
- Date Time. Allows entry of a date and time in this format: Month-Day-Year and time (24-hour clock)
- Dropdown List. Creates a list of options that users can choose from.
- Text. Creates a field for simple information such as color or VIN number for a vehicle.
- Textarea. Creates a field for longer text.
- Url. Creates a field for a web link.
Example - Dropdown List: Let's say you would like to add a required field called equipment condition, and the values you would like users to select from are: excellent, good, and requires maintenance. The following screenshot shows how to set those values. You can also select a default value, which may or may not apply - it is your choice.
4. Once all required information is entered, your next three options are circled in red in the previous screenshot and described below:
- Click the check box next to Enabled to allow the field to appear in Tracmor.
- Make the new required by clicking in the check box next to Required
- Make your custom field Searchable by clicking that check box.
5. Click Next in the bottom right corner to arrive at the second step, where you set permissions for who can view and edit the new custom field.
Note: You can only select roles that are already created. To find out how to add more roles, see the link to the article below for "What do I need to know about roles?"
6. The default allows all roles to view and edit the new field. You can limit permissions as follows:
- View. Click on the "x" next to roles to be omitted.
- Edit. Click on the "x" next to roles to be omitted.
- Applicable to. Options depend on the module that new field is being created in. Within the Assets module, you can limit the field to "All Models," "Specific Models," or "Specific Category." When you click on Specific Models or Specific Category you can select from a dropdown menu that shows the available items.
7. Click on Save. To activate the new custom field, click on OK.
Editing a custom field
1. To edit a custom field, navigate to Admin>Custom Field List.
2. Optional: If you need to search for a custom field, you can filter by Module Name, Field Name, Custom Field Type, and Created By. Create a filtered list by choosing parameters and clicking on Apply Filter to search for your criteria.
3. Note: You can add a new field at any time by clicking on the (blue) plus icon in the upper right corner.
4. To edit a Field, first click on the Field Name link.
When you click on the link your options are Edit, Delete, and Cancel. To edit, click on Edit:
The next dialog box is takes you back to the same options you had when you created the custom field. Once you have made your changes, click on Save.
Managing the field list
You control the fields that display by clicking on Manage Field List.
The Field List for each module displays all built-in fields. When you create and enable custom fields, the new custom field automatically becomes available, but if you want the new field to also appear in the List View for that module, simply drag the box with that label from the "Available Items" column to the "Selected Items" column, as shown by the arrow below.
Once the box is in the Selected Items column, click Save, then click OK on the confirmation message.
Shortcut: If you want all Available Items to become Selected Items, click on Select All in the upper right hand corner. If you want to start over, so to speak, you can click on Deselect All and then drag only the fields you want to display into the Selected Items column.